To get a few days off of my boring rotation sitting in a cubicle, I went to the New England Pharmacy Convention. It was at Mohegan Sun casino in Connecticut. Its a really cool place but what I enjoyed most about the whole thing was the free food, that was not even that great, and the expo. I remember every summer my family used to pack up in the car, sometimes it was our old "Eagle". I swear some of us would be laying on top of suitcases in the back of the car very near the roof. Back in those days I'm pretty sure none of us had seat belts on. We would go play in St. George while my dad attended the conference and later my mom would go as well and it would just be us. CJ's blog referenced this experience once as he convinced all us boys to go on a church history tour of St. George by ourselves. Sometimes we would get to go to parts of the conference and always we would look through the bags at all the cool stuff that my dad would get. Pens, papers, toys, samples.... Anything you could ever wish for and it was free. Needless to say, I still love getting these free things, especially pens. I walked shamelessly around the expo collecting as many things as I could while trying to avoid the drug reps and recruiters that wanted to actually talk to me. It was awesome.
Saturday night I went into Boston and met up with CJ and Tania who were in town for a conference that CJ was presenting at. Not surprisingly, CJ is already presenting at national conferences. Surprisingly the topic he presented was good sexual health (hehehe). Those of us who have known him for a long time know that he was destined to do great things. He is gonna be a successful guy, thats all I have to say. Anyway, we went to a good restaurant in Harvard Square called Spice. We then went to a good chocolate place and got hot chocolate and walked along the Charles until strenous circumstances cut our walk short... It was so cool that they got to come to Boston and that I got to spend some time with them while they were here. I sure do love them!
23 September 2008
Fun Weekend
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
I remember you gave me bag full of "goodies" for my birthday once...about 5,000 pens, some nifty highligters, some weird paper weights, etc. I found one of those highlighters laying on the stairs to my family room just this morning. It was a Drug Enforcement Administration highlighter. And I'm sure I have yet to get rid of all the pens...
those are great memories. Convention just hasn't been the same without the kids, they don't give as much cool stuff anymore either. I am glad you got to spend time with C. and Tania, it sounds like you had a good time. Nobody used seat belts in those days and with how tightly you were in the hatch against the roof you wouldn't have gone anywhere.
Yeah...I got one of those sweet packages full of stuff too. I still have post it notes with birth control medicine logos on them and tons of sweet pens. Mine also had weird articles of clothing in them, like a gold sequin skirt and some other random thing. Thanks for sharing Mike.
Oh yeah. My brother in law and his family live there in Boston. They live in Auburndale or Auburnville or something like that. They love it. We want to come out and see them soon, so hopefully you will still be around when we do. Do you still talk to Bryce?
Strenuous circumstances? Haha, that's funny :) P.S. I have a symbicort notepad on my desk at school.... a fellow teacher walked in with the same notepad. Turns out her husband is a drug rep. Funny. We chatted about all the cool stuff she gets for free... pens, pencils, magnets. Good times.
Sounds like fun! I'm so jealous that they got to come out to Boston and you could all hang out. I still love collecting all the free junk at convention too, even when I don't need it. I have 3 bags in the garage that Matt wants to throw away.
It was fun! Thanks for driving all the way to Boston to hang out. We had a great time with you guys and we love you too!
It was a blast!! I already miss it. Thanks so much for new wonderful (and slightly funny) memories of Boston! We love you!
Post a Comment