25 April 2008

Thinking back

I'm not really sure why, but due to some events that have recently transpired at my house, I am reminded of a great story from my past.

It must have been 1998 shortly after I got my drivers license. I was invited to attend a surprise birthday party for a friend of mine and many of my friends were gonna be there. I went and had a great time. I don't remember the party, thats not the good part of the story. As my friends and I were leaving to go do something else after the party, some of the kids started popping the baloons. There may have been some hoodlems there, I can't remember. There was also probably some rowdy kids messing around, it was a birthday party after all. We had to walk down the street to where we had parked to keep the surprise. As we crossed the street and were almost to our cars, we heard sirens all over the place. Not so unusual. The unusual part was that they seemed to be coming right towards us. Even more weird is that they (meaning several cop cars) came around the corner and pulled up right in front of us with their lights and sirens on. What?! This is weird and scary. I can't remember if the cops jumped out of the cars with their guns pointed at us, but I really want to say they did. Even if they didn't it felt like they did. So, 6 guys from high school that were not trouble makers were scared. I mean scared spitless. We had to put our hands on our heads, the whole drill... Scary! We had no idea why this was happening cause we clearly did nothing note worthy of cops. We were frisked by the female cop, she took our ID's and still we had no idea what was going on. Finally after several minutes of being scared to death and getting questioned, they let us go (maybe partly because they discovered that the mayors son was one of my friends). Come to find out, one of the neighbors had called the police department saying they heard gun shots!! Pretty sure there were no guns at that party. However, they must have sent the entire city squad to the scene. Several cars on us, several more cars on our friends down the street, several cars at the house. It was crazy! Maybe one of the more scary moments of my life. Now I laugh about it and think of what a great story it is.

2 comments:

C.J. said...

I totally remember that. Didn't Mark Cropper say something like, "Would it help if we told you we're Mormon?" That's hilarious!

Jillyan said...

I don't think you have ever told me that story. That's hilarious! It reminds me of when I walked over to Jessica's once and didn't shut the door all the way. So, the alarm went off. I was only gone a few minutes, and shortly after being home...I had a couple of cops barging in my house with their guns pointed at me. Scared the pants off of me!