The Top of Utah Marathon
September 18, 2010
My second marathon was nothing like my first. The timing was not great and I did very little training for it. I decided that I wanted to do it anyway and I did it. My little brother, Shayne, ran it with me too.
We drove to Logan on Friday afternoon and got there in time to sit at Olive Garden for over an hour waiting for a table. I guess we weren't the only ones that wanted the never-ending pasta bowl the night before a big race. CJ, Tania, Clara, Shayne and Chalise all met us there. It was a really fun dinner and good to spend some time with my family! Afterwards we crashed at CJ and Tanias house.
Shayne picked me up for the race at 5:00am. We had to be shuttled up the canyon to the starting line and it took a while. When we got there it was a half hour til race time and we rushed to get ready. It was also freezing cold, probably in the upper 30s I'm guessing (maybe lower 40s but COLD no matter)! We stretched and the race began. Once we crossed the start line, we said good luck and he went to the right and I went to the left. I didn't see him again until the finish line because he smoked me.
I did pretty well for the first half of the race but it felt all uphill from there. The run down the mountain was really pretty, especially when the sun came out and it started to warm up. It was awesome to finally see spectators about mile 15 and got to see some personal supporters at mile 17. After that I didn't really have a lot of energy and kept having to walk. It was a huge relief to finally get into downtown Logan and know that the race was almost over. I did not do as well as my first marathon but I still feel really good about this. While I was running it I was sure I would never do it again, but now I'm not sure I'm done quite yet...
Shayne at mile 17
Me making a face at my nephew at mile 17
Me coming up to the finish line
Me at the finish line with my family in the background
Trisha, Sam and I after the finish line. Sam is zonked out :)
Official Time: 04:51:15.2
And if you were wondering, Shayne got: 04:07:44.9







5 comments:
Way to go Mike! You are such an inspiration to me! Maybe one day I'll suck it up and train for a full. Good luck on #3 :)
Way to go guys! So sorry I missed it!
Way to go Mike! I can't believe you've done a second marathon this year! AWESOME!
(BTW, if my name shows up as Michele Shepherd and you're wondering who the heck that is, its Michele Richardson, finally getting around to changing her name since she's been married nearly a year!)
good job! way to stick with it!
Post a Comment