05 July 2008

JULY 4TH

I love JULY 4th and all of the traditions that go along with it! This is my second year in Boston for the holiday and last year we toughed out the rain and the crowds to watch the Boston fireworks as they were lit off on the Charles River with the city skyline as the backdrop. This year, I went with Trisha and her roommates to a more secluded place to enjoy the holiday. Marblehead Neck is a little penninsula that jets off from Marblehead which is about 1/2 hour north of Boston, near Salem (where the witch trials occured). I was a little bit skeptic at first because I love big crowds and big parties on this holiday, but I was proven wrong. It was such a great experience. We got there around three and drove out to the tip of the penninsula and found a nice patch of grass between the rocks and just underneath the lighthouse. We had a picnic, played games, some of us (not me, its too blasted cold here and I already had a sweater on because it was only sixty degrees outside) went swimming in the ocean and just enjoyed each others company. We were in a bay, so across the water from us was the city of marble head, to our left was the bay with lots of sail boats and private houses that ligned the shore and to our right were some smaller islands and the wide open ocean. When the sun started setting it was phenomenal, one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Then, about fifteen minutes before the fireworks started, they coast around us started lighting up with red flares that had been placed along the harbor. It was so cool! Trish and I found a nice, cozy spot with naturally made chairs in the rocks with our feet dangling above the ocean and waited for the fireworks to start. I was not disappointed at all, it was a great show! The barge was maybe one hundred yards in front of us in the harbor as it lit off the fireworks! Not only that, we were able to see Salem's fireworks, and Manchester-by-the-sea's (I love that name) fireworks and 3 or 4 other cities do their show while we watched the one right in front of us go off. It was incredible! As we drove off of the penninsula, we blasted Neil Diamond, "We're coming to America" and Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue" it was the best way to end July 4th! Here are some pics...


Mike, Trisha, Katie, Tristan and EstherPanoramic view looking out into the ocean
We sat right under the lighthouse

Me and Trisha and the harbor

The sunset

The sunset a little later, it was amazing

Panoramic view of the sunset in the harbor

The flares lit up along the harbor

Fireworks

Fireworks

Ask Esther about this one, hahaha

Trisha and I perched on the rocks watching the fireworks

The lighthouse all lit up

PS- I cannot claim these pictures as being my own, cause I didn't take any. These are courtesy of Trisha. I must say they are great pictures and if you want to see some additional pics of our adventure, check out her blog

10 comments:

Trisha said...

haha - I get a mad case of the giggles everytime I see that picture of you and Esther. So fantastic!

Trisha said...

I loved everything about this weekend! So fun.

Jillyan said...

What a fun weekend! The pictures were beautiful of the sunset. You definitely live in a beautiful part of the country. I keep telling Rob that Boston is one place I really want to visit. I'm jealous!

Annilee said...

Wow Mike...long time would be an understatement. I am glad that you stalked into me. What are you up to...you are right, I do have a friend that I wanted to set you up with but it appears that you may have a girlfriend/fiance. Loved reading your blog and seeing your family...good memories I have! I will continue to check up on you and should you become single, keep my friend in mind!

Hess Fam said...

MIKE!! Holy cow! how the heck are you! I am so jealous that you live in Boston! No fair! So the pictures don't even look like you! I have never seen you with so much hair! and why would you think that I would not remember you???? What I don't remember is anything about maxi pads, seriously I have no idea what you are talking about! anyways I am so glad you said hi!!

Hess Fam said...

Mike! Holy cow! How are you? I am so jealous that you live in Boston! How fun and exciting! I have never seen you with so much hair I hardly recognized you!! How could you think that I would not remember you!!! I do not however recall anything about maxi pads, I really don't I have no clue what you are talking about!! Thaks for saying hi I'm glad you found our blog good luck with stuff!!! What the heck are you doing in Boston anyway???

Hess Fam said...

I didn't mean to post twice!! I thought the first one didn't go through!! I can't believe I don't remember that at all! How funny! So a pharmacist huh? How cool is that! Good for you. I ran into Jill a long time ago but I haven't heard from her in forever I didn't even know that she knew I had a blog, it's amazing what blog stalking can lead to, I LOVE it!

Tiffanyrose said...

Looks like you guys had a fun time. A little jealous that you were cold and had to wear a sweater. It was a bit warm here.

Laura said...

Is this Mike S? I mean from jr high? I think it's great that you found my blog. It sounds like your life is just as exciting as ever, what else have you done these last ten years?

Mama Snow said...

Hey ya Mike. What is going on? I noticed Brandi found ya and I decided I would stop by and say hi to the boy who left me in the dust at Eisenhower. Just Kidden! So what the heck have you been up to? Well I hope life is treating you well. Later