01 March 2009

JUNE 27, 2009

It's finally official: Trisha and I are getting married on June 27, 2009 at 11:00am in the Salt Lake Temple!!


The Mountain: snowboarding=fun

The ring came on our second to last run down the mountain The flowers

For another version of this engagement story, see Trisha's blog. What I'm going to do now is tell you the story from my point of view and fill in some of the blanks...

Back in October I started researching rings. I had some help- I had a private investigator of sorts. Kirsti, Trisha's roommate went ring shopping and relayed all information to me. (Thanks Kirsti). After months of looking at rings and trying to find the right one according to the information that had been relayed to me, I was finally able to pick the perfect ring and buy it. Five weeks ago I bought it. I checked my email every day waiting for the blasted thing to come and apparently it takes a long time to get a custom made ring. It finally came on Tuesday and I have been so excited ever since! I told her that I really wanted to go snowboarding before the resort closed and so we planned a date for saturday night. I called her dad on friday afternoon and asked for his daughters hand in marriage. It was a great conversation, one that I will remember forever. I was really nervous but her dad is such a genuine, loving guy. She comes from a great family and I have so much love and respect for her parents! Her dad gave us his blessing so I ordered flowers that were delivered on friday and things were all set up and in place. I got off work a little bit early on saturday and headed to the craft store to get a ribbon to replace the most ugly ribbon that I have ever seen that they put on my flowers. I got home, put the ring in a small, homemade envelope to protect it from the snow, and headed to the mountain with Trisha. It was such a fun night. We both really love snowboarding and had a good time cuttin down the mountain. I was starting to get a little nervous and kept trying to find a good moment to pop the question. I knew that I wanted it to be one of our last times down, toward the end of the night, but I didn't really want to do it while tons of people were around. I got the perfect opportunity when we found ourselves all alone on the slope and Trisha took a crash to the rear. I went to the side of the slope and sat down beside her and told her how much I loved her. I then tried very hard to throw my snowboard around so that I could be facing her. I helped her up so that she was standing in front of me. I took off my gloves and started to dig through my pocket for my homemade envelope. I got it out as I told her that there was something that I had been dying to ask her. (This is where it gets slightly funny). I couldn't get the ring out of my envelope. I was shaking it and digging for it and it wouldn't come out. I'm sure she thought that I was slightly crazy there on the mountain. Finally as I kneeled before her, I presented her with the ring and asked her to marry me. She said yes! And so the story begins with the woman that I love!

17 comments:

HM (Nana) said...

Welcome to the family, Mike!! Can we just say that we love how much you love our little girl. We have prayed for you to come into her life for a very long time. It was worth the wait. We can hardly wait to meet the rest of your awesome family!

TCheney said...

Nicely done!! Congratulations you guys. Here is where I make the general Cheney family disclaimer. Welcome to the family. We look forward to many awesome times together.

Dad Cheney

Nellie said...

Thanks for making my little sis so happy, and welcome to the family. I hope you know what you are getting into :)

Annilee said...

Yea, congratulations to the two of you. I am glad that you have found someone that makes you happy. I hope that you enjoy your engagement, it is such a fun time!

Karli said...

Yeah!! We are so excited for you both. I can't wait to meet Trisha's family and for another wedding! You are two awesome people and I know all the best will come to you. You couldn't have made a better choice then Trisha. She is beautiful and perfect for you. I remember how well she fit in at the Sorenson family reunion. It is overwhelming for some, but she just seemed at ease. She wowed everyone with her voice and guitar. You will have so many wonderful years to come. We love you so much.

Tania said...

Great proposal! Good job, Mike! We can hardly wait for the wedding! What are the plans between graduation and wedding?

Eliza said...

HOORAY!!!!!

I love Trisha and I only know her through what you've said and through stalking her blog.

Seriously, Mike. SO.HAPPY.FOR.YOU!!

Jillyan said...

Congrats!!! I am so happy for you two!!! I bet it feels great to finally have it official. I am so happy that you found the one. The night I met her, I could tell she made you truly happy. Way to go on the proposal!

Tiffanyrose said...

Mike, nice engagement story! We are so happy that you are joining our family and that she is joining yours!

Megan D. said...

Congratulations! Very exciting. :)

Texas Harveys said...

I've been waiting for this post forever! Very exciting. We might actually be in Utah that week if you're having a reception!

Kirsti said...

Finally! I wish that I was there. Literally, right there while you popped the question. It wouldn´t have been awkward...at all. I am so happy for you guys. I love you two!!

Jonny, Jessica, Carter, and Max Arbuckle said...

Mike this is Jess Peterson, I always stalk you thru Jill's blog, but congrats!! Prettiest ring I have ever seen, and the cutest propasol ever... good job!! I hope things are good.

Mama Snow said...

That is so awesome! Congrats Mike.

Lisel said...

Congratulations to both of you!! We are so excited for the wedding (except that part about me being HUGE and having it captured in wedding photos forever...) We can't wait to see you both and to have Trish be part of the fam!

C.J. said...

Good job, bro.! Congrats to both of you. We are excited to have you married and back home.

The Danimal said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!


IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU BUDDY.

let me know the deets so I can come!