05 June 2012

Latest project

My latest project came about after I finished building my storage shelves in the garage and I was looking for more things that I could build. My sister happened to be looking for bunk beds but was unable to find ones that she really loved with a price that matched. So, I offered to build her bunk beds. It couldn't be that hard right? Plus, I thought it would be fun. After months of looking and debating and planning, we decided to go ahead with it. We got building plans from a website, http://www.ana-white.com/, Lisel bought all of the supplies, I had a weekend off and it all started to come together.

 The lumber

Step 1: Cut all the lumber

All of the cut pieces of lumber

Step 2: Start building. First, the head and foot boards





Step 3: Bed frames

Step 4: Assembly

Step 5: Add ladder and side rail

Step 6: Stain the entire thing

Voila! The finished project.

It took me about 27 man hours from start to finish, including the 2 hours that Lisel helped me stain it until 12:30 in the morning. It turned out awesome and I can't wait to see how it looks in the remodeled room for the boys. I am proud of it.

I had a neighbor lady come over and ask me if I did it for a living? When I said I just do it for fun, she asked me how much I would charge to build them? I thought about it for a minute, all the time it takes and the hard work that it takes and I responded with a number that I hoped would deter her from further questioning. I wouldn't mind doing it again, but at the moment it didn't seem like I wanted to start on another one right then.

I am already looking for my next project. Maybe something in my house... Stay tuned



4 comments:

Tania said...

Wow! That is awesome, Mike. Good job! I'm way impressed!

Annilee said...

Wow, Lisel is one lucky girl to have a brother like you. I LOVE Ana White's website and have many things I drool over someday having in my house. Great job, they look great!

Missy said...

They looked amazing when I saw them in the room. I am blown away by your talent. I find myself saying "I wanna be like Mike." :) Good job!

Lisel said...

We love the bunk beds!! Thank you so much!