There is a lake, Matt Warner, about 40 minutes North of Vernal. I fished there last summer and the fishing was awesome. I have read many reviews and talked to some people that said the ice fishing there was also extraordinary. Usually the reservoir is only accessible by snow mobile because of all of the snow and snow drifts. This year however since we have had next to no snow at all, the lake is completely accessible with any vehicle. So, I convinced a friend of mine to head on up with me. We were both really excited for some great trout fishing. It did not disappoint.
We arrived at 8:00am, got all set up and put our lines in. It took about 20 minutes to get our first fish but after the first one, it was one after another for the next 2 hours.
Right when we got there
First catch of the day
The tent, so warm inside!
Justin
The holes. It is intriguing to look down the hole (when you have a tent) and see all the fish striking your bait.
Inside the fishes mouth...
One of my female (and very full of eggs) friends
My 3 keepers
My biggest fish! >18 inches long
The ice
The lake, it was really busy that day
At home just before this fish became a filet-o-fish
A delicious trout meal!!
In the end, we were at the lake for 5 hours and Justin caught 22 fish and I caught 8. Don't worry, lost about 8 fish right under the ice as I was reeling them in. They kept getting off the hook. I also lost 3 fish when they broke the line. So I may not have brought out as many fish, but it was still the best fishing trip that I have ever been on. I really hope it doesn't snow so that I can keep going up to Matt Warner. It is fantastic fishing!


1 comment:
This looks awesome! If I come to Vernal will you take me?
Post a Comment