03 December 2011

November Project

Trisha left town for most of the month of November to visit her family. And it just so happens that I can get a lot done while the wife and kid are gone so I set out to accomplish something that has been on my list for a long time. I really wanted some storage space in our house and I really wanted shelves in my garage. I figured I would do both. It started with many hours of planning out what I wanted to do. I know that many people can just do this without really thinking about it or drawing anything up. However, I am the kind of person that needs to draw it up with every detail or I won't be able to do it. I have about 10 pages of notes on the project.


Next, I had to compile a list of what I needed to get. I soon realized that all of the supplies would not fit in my car, I had to enlist the help of my neighbor and his truck. His whole family accompanied me to the local Lowe's and helped me get a lot of lumber and some random other things. I would also make another half dozen trips back to the store, so maybe my initial planning wasn't even worth it. My plan also changed a few times over the weeks that I worked on it but now it is done and I think it turned out really well.

Before picture. Dirty garage full of cardboard boxes from when we moved to Vernal over 2 years ago.

The first little project was a shoe storage bench. It took me about 3 hours to build this, mostly because I have never done anything like this before and it took me a minute to get the hang of what I was doing.

I continued on with the next small project which was building a workbench/craft table that could roll away from the wall so that it is multifunctional. My original plan was to build it with 2 shelves near the bottom and then have a space to put 2 drawers at the top. However when I built it and realized that it was up to my chest already, without the wheels on it, I realized that I need to modify my plans. I ended up cutting the top drawer part off and just leaving it with the 2 shelves instead. I put a solid wood top on it and attached the wheels for mobility.

This is a picture of it before I cut the top off.

The next part was a food storage cupboard. It was more complicated because I wanted it to be 8 feet tall and have 7 shelves. I started off cutting the posts and then assembling the 2 sides seperately. After both sides were done I stood them up and started building the front/back crossbars and putting the shelves together. After everything was done, I encased 5 shelves with plywood and will eventually put a door on it.




Next, I built my last coponent. A four shelf unit (3ftx8ftx5ft).

Then I placed it all up against the wall according to my plans. I don't like it at all. So I decide maybe it will look better if it is arranged differently...

Arranged differently, and I still don't really like it.

So I went back to the drawing board and figured out my options. I decided to add another full size shelf unit against that wall and move the craft bench to a different corner of the garage where it would fit better. That means another trip for more lumber and a few more hours of work.

For this other full size shelf unit, I decided to make it 5 shelves and build it the same length as the craft bench.



That looks much better! Just had to mount it all to the wall and then I moved on to the workbench. I wanted to build shelves around it and also have some peg board to hang things on. So I wrapped it around the corner to give us more shelf space and make it look a little better.



And then it was time to take all of our crap from various parts of our house and garage and start filling up the space.

THE FINAL RESULT:


I am really proud of myself for building these all on my own and it makes me want to build lots of other things because I enjoyed it so much. I am also happy to have some storage space.

Specs on the project:

Hours:
Planning- 8 hours
Building- 52 hours
Organizing/Cleaning- 2 hours

Lumber:
56- 1x4x8
18- 1x4x10
35- 2x4x8
17- 2x4x10
2- peg boards
3- plywood
2- 2x10x8

Tools:
1 miter saw
1 table saw
1 new drill
4 driver bits
2 drill bits

4 comments:

Lisel said...

It looks so good! I'm so impressed that you did it all! Good job! Fun idea to do the coloring contest too :)

C.J. said...

I'm quite impressed! You'll have to teach me so I don't have to spend 8 hours planning...and then there's the 52 hours of time spent, that might be a problem too. Awesome job!

Tania said...

Amazing! you should help C.J. with our garage:)

Karli said...

it looks so awesome! I am so proud of you, where did you learn to do that? Now you can come help your dad with some ideas! Lol!