10 April 2010

4 days left

I can always tell when I am really nervous for something because I start to dream and they are never good dreams. A few days ago I had such an experience. I had not been able to run all week because I was sick and completely unmotivated. It's getting really close to race day so I am starting to get extremely nervous. So Thursday night I had a dream in which I was running the marathon but each time I took a stride forward, there was a force pulling me backwards. It was as if I was attached to a rope and could not move in a forward motion. It felt like it went on all night and I woke up completely exhausted from trying to run in my mind all night long!! This only fueled my nervousness for the big day. I dreaded my eight mile run on Friday after not having run all week, and it was a brutal run. But the good news is that I made it the whole eight miles, and I had only the wind pushing me backwards. As hard as I thought all of my long runs were, I am pretty sure that the hardest part of my training up to this point is the taper down. In the last two weeks, I have lost all motivation to run. I can only hope that I will still be able to muster the strength to get through it.

I am all but done with my training and today I recieved an email with race day instructions. As I read them my heart started pounding, I started sweating and my stomach started turning. What am I getting myself into?! I'm so nervous!

To help myself feel like I am prepared for the race, I tallied up my training stats one last time:

Weeks of training: 14 weeks

Miles run: 334.6 miles

Number of runs: 51

Hours spent running: 52.267 hours (3,136 minutes)

Estimated calories burned: 47,571 kcal

Weight change: -7 pounds (FINALLY!!)

Longest run: 22 miles


For any of those interested in the race details it is this Saturday, April 17 and it starts at 7:00am at the University of Utah and ends at the Gateway downtown. Here is a link to the race route: http://www.saltlakecitymarathon.com/assets/1/Photos/2010%20SLCM%20all.jpg

7 comments:

Tina said...

Can I tell you what an inspiration you are? You have set a goal and have set a course to succeed. I admire your determination. We look forward to celebrating with you on the eve of the 17th! Good luck!!

Eliza said...

You will be so pumped and fired up on the big day, the whole race atmosphere is electric! I'm so excited for you. It is awesome to cross that finish line and know that you seriously just went 26.2 miles, it makes it all worth it.

I can't wait to hear all about your post-race recap!

Unknown said...

You're going to do just great! Your longest run is 22 miles?!?!?! I'm impressed already. Have fun on the 17th!

HayLee said...

You will be great. You have been training for so long you body knows what to do. Just relax and have fun!

The Danimal said...

I wish so bad I could come and cheer you on buddy! you got this. you so got this.

Jillyan said...

I have crazy race dreams like that months before the big day! It's annoying. You are going to rock those 26.2 miles! It will be hard...but you will feel amazing crossing that finish line! See ya there!

Nellie said...

Good Luck!!