It has been a long-time goal of mine to run a marathon and I always told myself that after I was done with school I would do it. I thought that working would allow me a more established schedule and more time to train. This is not true, of course. However, I woke up a few weeks ago determined and excited to run the Salt Lake City Marathon on April 17, 2009. I found all the information online and put together a training schedule for the next 15 weeks. The next morning was the first day of training. It was at 5:45am and the temperature was -6 degrees outside. I bundled up and went for it. Nothing is gonna stop me from running this race, not even the freezing cold of Vernal! Lots of my training can be done on my days off but I will probably have to wake up and run before work several times a week.
These are pictures that I took of myself this morning at 6:19am after I finished my run. It was wretched cold, but I keep pretty warm. I wear regular socks, soccer socks, two pairs of running pants, a long-sleeve thermal shirt, a hoodie, a rain coat, a winter coat and a beenie with a built in flanel mask! Most of my body remains warm, but some unfortunate parts do not. Usually my eyes water a lot cause its so cold. This causes ice formations in my eyelashes that continue to grow throughout the run. My nostrils and everything inside of them also freeze. My gloves, coat and beenie accumulate ice crystals. And because I run so early in the morning, I have to carry a small flashlight in my hand so that I can make oncoming traffic aware of my presence, if necessary.

The benefit of all of it is that I am going to accomplish an awesome goal of mine, I'm gonna be in shape, I'm gonna learn to get my butt out of bed and I'll have something to look forward to.

The other benefit is that after some of my runs and while I'm getting ready for work, I get to witness these awesome sunrises!
9 comments:
Do you want a partner? I've been thinking about running a marathon too but I'm a bit scared and have to figure out how to train.
Woot, woot! I always get excited when people run marathons, especially their first.
You're pretty hardcore already if you're going out in -6. I'm impressed. And talk about GORGEOUS sunrises!
I completely admire you! I wish I had the motivation and endurance to run a full. I think I'll just stick to the half! Is Trisha going to run too?
Good luck man. I've done that marathon twice. It's a pretty good course. Hope you guys are doing well.
I wish I was that good, but I am not as good as my 2 little sisters, it would really help with my large behind. I will just come and be the best cheerleader you have ever seen at a few spots along the way. I am proud of you and really admire that you would go out when it's that cold!!
You go! No way could I start out in that freezing cold so I'm impressed. I don't think I'll aspire to a marathon anytime soon, but I am hoping to start working out and maybe running a little. Make C do it with you, that would be sweet!
That is COLD!! You are a great inspiration, Mike. We are proud of you. We'll watch your posts for progress on your goal.
Anyone who runs a marathon is my hero. Anyone who gets out of bed early to freeze their but off is doubly awesome. Go Mike!
LOVE IT! Oh my gosh. I hate the cold I would die. You are my hero. Maybe I'll come down and run it with you! I dont' have subzero temperatures to worry about to practice. I have no excuses!
Post a Comment