Background: It's Easter Sunday, so I am at church along with other members of my ward. We are prepared to hear great messages of the Savior and his mission. After Elder's Quorum meeting, I found Trisha and she told me the following story: Apparently during Relief Society they sang the hymn "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" and some free-spirited person in their congregation decided to start playing a bell as background music (this was not a planned thing). Am I wrong to think that is inappropriate? Well, the story doesn't end there. This sister (who will remain nameless), who frequently wears pants to church and always talks about feelings and spiritual connections and other such mumbo-jumbo, was not done with her antics for the day. We happened to sing the same song as the closing hymn for sacrament meeting and what does she do? Thankfully not ring a bell, but she stands up in the middle of the song and puts her head high in the air and smiles from ear to ear while shouting along to this hymn. I nearly died!! I wish my family would have been there because we all would have been rolling on the floor! Everyone stared at her awkwardly for a few seconds until then the bishopric felt obligated to stand and then the whole audience rose. Except for me, I chose to not stand because I felt this was ridiculous. Am I wrong in thinking that this is completely inappropriate?
17 April 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Ha ha, that's pretty funny! She sounds like a character and I can totally see you sitting there disgusted and refusing to stand up. Hilarious! Thanks for telling me it was Trisha's birthday by the way...
Was she shouting Hallelujah? That is totally weird!!
I am laughing my face off just reading this. I would have lost control for sure! I can just picture it. And of course you refused to stand.
That reminds me of this woman in our ward (once a Baptist) who totally started singing her testimony all gospel-style like during fast and testimony meeting... it was hilarious + awesome + strange.
Actually there was also bell ringing during sacrament meeting too, it was just a little more drowned out. I thought it was all inappropriate as well... she's def. a character.
Post a Comment