17 June 2008

Average days

Day: friday night

Time: somewhere around 5pm

Place: CVS pharmacy 481 Lincoln st, Worcester, MA.

So, I'm at work and I am just going about my business of typing a prescription in half a second flat and a guy walks up to the counter who is of mexican descent. He hands me two prescriptions and I start asking him all the questions that I have to ask and start typing away. He tells me he will come get the medications tomorrow, which shocked me because nobody waits a whole day to pick up the infamous percocet (everybody wants it yesterday cause they are in so much pain). About two seconds later, he tells me he needs to wait cause he is in pain right now. I say okay and proceed to finish typing. I look over and he is holding his hand to his head. Not out of the ordinary for someone who is at the pharmacy trying to get pain meds. I look over a second later and he is resting in arm, and essentially his whole body on the counter in front of me. I start to think something is weird. It happened in slow motion, I can still see it in my head. The guys slowly falls to the floor. I can see his eyes roll back in his head, the color just flushed right out of him and down he went right in front of me. Around the counter and out the door I ran as I yelled in a very stern voice for the other intern to "come here now." I'll be honest, I didn't really know what to do, except to tell the guy to remain on the floor. We took his pulse and realized that it was not normal while also realizing that his hands were sweaty and cold. Not a good sign. I ran back into the pharmacy and called 911. The firemen were the first to respond and take his blood pressure before calling the ambulance with the EMT crew. A translator (friend of the guy that passed out) was also called to assist in the fiasco because communication was rough at that point. It turns out that this guy was in the hospital for kidney stones and had just been released. He immediately came to the pharmacy to fill his prescriptions. I don't know what they do at this hospital, but that guy was in no condition to be out of the hospital. So, off to the ambulance he went to recieve fluids because he was severely dehydrated and then back to the hospital. I'm glad it turned out okay, but it got my blood flowing and I had a serious rush going on. It may be inappropriate to say that it was exciting, but it was.



Saturday afternoon: I found out that my uncle, whom I live with, was called as the new stake president. There was a lot of fear and humility and anxiety associated with the whole event. I decided to go support them at the conference when he was sustained. I don't think I have ever actually seen the depths of humility on a person's face until he was called to stand up and then take his place on the stand. Maybe its because I know he and my aunt hadn't slept for two days, they cried for many hours of those two days and I saw the process as it unfolded, but I could feel it as well. I thought it was too bad that the old stake presidency was more concerned with jokes and good times than actual spiritual thoughts or experiences. It's always a good thing to have change in the church, cause you could tell they were done. However, when my uncle got up to give his talk, the tone of the meeting immediately changed. He started off with goals for the stake which hit me pretty hard. "Practice holiness," he quoted from the scriptures and then, "Do good, be good and become better," quoted from President Hinckley. Simple things, yet important principles of the gospel. Their stake lacks foundation and to strengthen your foundation you have to go back to the basics and start from there. It was a great meeting. I found a new respect and love for my uncle and I know he is gonna do a great job.

4 comments:

Jillyan said...

What a scary experience! I'm glad everything turned out ok.

C.J. said...

Sounds like a scary event! Glad he didn't die on you.

Tiffanyrose said...

Sounds like your uncle will be an amazing Stake President. Also, kinda scary about the dude at your pharmacy, good thing you knew to let him not get up, that was very important. You should become a doctor, only add a billion more years onto your schooling!

Karli said...

bmucpznI am so proud of you. You are your mothers child! then adrenalin really gets going in a situation like that. It is exciting in a way, you did all the right things and I am sure learned a lot about what to do the next time, there will be a next time.
Thanks for the love and support you give my baby sister and her family, you are awesome and I know they appreciate it. I think Mike will do an awesome job.