I had to write an essay for school 'cause I conditionally passed an essay test, but apparently I need practice. Whatever... Anyway, this thought has been on my mind so I decided to write my essay on it. (Note: don't read this and expect a good essay, just read it for its ideas and content)
When did life get so complicated?
As I got home from a long day at school, I was rushing to my room to put all my things down and relax for a minute. I noticed as I walked past the window that my cousins, whom I live with, were all gathered outside. It was a beautiful spring day and the sun was shining down pure happiness after a long winter. The kids had decided that it was time for a little home-made baseball game, 2-on-2. I looked on, watching them as they hit the ball and ran the bases. They laughed, they fought a little, but they were definitely having a good, carefree time.
I couldn’t help but reminisce of the times in my youth when I would come home from school around 3:00 and have hours to play with my friends. We played baseball, soccer, steal-the-flag and football. We jumped on the tramp, made ramps and rode our bikes off of them. We went to the “Rolos” for some adventurous bike riding. We shot at cans in the backyard. Occasionally, we found ourselves in trouble, but it never took long and we were back at it.
Life has changed so much since then. I go to school all day, I work at CVS, I volunteer tutoring French, I intern at Great Brook Valley Pharmacy, I teach a gospel doctrine class at church, I have choir practice, I have home teaching to do each month and FHE to attend each week. Much of the little spare time I have, I am trying to catch up on my homework that piles up because I have had 47 tests in the last 2 semesters. As if that is not enough, making and keeping friends along with dating can really make things difficult. Bad days, sleepless nights, anxiety, lack of exercise and bad nutrition (mostly just drinking too much Coca-Cola) all start to get to me. The days of the week are never long enough, and the weeks never go by fast enough…
So, as I watched them play baseball, I wondered whether I will ever make it back to those long days of youth: carefree, happy and easy. I dream of such days. Maybe when I am done with school, found my wife, started a family and found the perfect job, I will be in such a dream.
As I got home from a long day at school, I was rushing to my room to put all my things down and relax for a minute. I noticed as I walked past the window that my cousins, whom I live with, were all gathered outside. It was a beautiful spring day and the sun was shining down pure happiness after a long winter. The kids had decided that it was time for a little home-made baseball game, 2-on-2. I looked on, watching them as they hit the ball and ran the bases. They laughed, they fought a little, but they were definitely having a good, carefree time.
I couldn’t help but reminisce of the times in my youth when I would come home from school around 3:00 and have hours to play with my friends. We played baseball, soccer, steal-the-flag and football. We jumped on the tramp, made ramps and rode our bikes off of them. We went to the “Rolos” for some adventurous bike riding. We shot at cans in the backyard. Occasionally, we found ourselves in trouble, but it never took long and we were back at it.
Life has changed so much since then. I go to school all day, I work at CVS, I volunteer tutoring French, I intern at Great Brook Valley Pharmacy, I teach a gospel doctrine class at church, I have choir practice, I have home teaching to do each month and FHE to attend each week. Much of the little spare time I have, I am trying to catch up on my homework that piles up because I have had 47 tests in the last 2 semesters. As if that is not enough, making and keeping friends along with dating can really make things difficult. Bad days, sleepless nights, anxiety, lack of exercise and bad nutrition (mostly just drinking too much Coca-Cola) all start to get to me. The days of the week are never long enough, and the weeks never go by fast enough…
So, as I watched them play baseball, I wondered whether I will ever make it back to those long days of youth: carefree, happy and easy. I dream of such days. Maybe when I am done with school, found my wife, started a family and found the perfect job, I will be in such a dream.



6 comments:
Those really were good days! Here's to finding all those things you dream about.
Word. The bad news is I think it's all downhill from here... and not in a good way. OK, maybe not, but I'm not sure it gets less complicated. Maybe the key is finding happiness in the simple things and not getting too hung up on the complicated ones??? I don't know- you're definitely not alone in this boat, if it makes you feel any better...
PS
Yay for blogging... ;D
I agree with Jacosa. The key to happiness is to focus on the little things in life. Life is too short to get caught up in the complicated stuff. It is not downhill from here...your life is just beginning. You just have to remember to take time for the little things in life that bring you happiness!
I think there will always be all of those "good things" filling up our lives. Perhaps we need to learn when it is ok to blow those things off in the name of our truly real priorities (without, ya know, getting fired or flunking out of school in the process).
I think it's definitely something worth thinking more about.
Eeewww, Mike, sorry I tried to be respectful and not blab your bid-ness (ebonics version of "business") all over the internet. Will remember that next time I try to be discreet and considerate of your privacy... ;D
Post a Comment