09 August 2010

Samuel Aquilla Sorenson

It was really easy to plan for the arrival of our little guy. Because he was still breech and Trisha has two uteruses, we knew that we were going to need a c-section. We scheduled the c-section with the doctor and we knew that by 2:30pm on Thursday, August 5, 2010 we would have a little baby boy.

We had to be at the hospital at 12:00pm for surgery prep. Once we got there they had to pump Trisha full of fluids and get her ready. It took about two hours to get everything ready. We had a short consult with the anesthesiologist and the obstetrician. Once 2:00pm came, they wheeled Trisha out of the room and gave me scubs to put on. About ten minutes later, they escorted me into the operating room where Trisha had recieved her spinal block and was all laid out on the table. I got to stand next to her head and look over the divider and watch the entire thing as it unfolded. It was the best day of my life to watch this, I was so happy!! The OB was awesome and he let me film the entire thing; it was incredible. It took about four minutes for me to see his little bum come out and by 2:15pm he was here! There is nothing like seeing your kid for the first time. He was so little and so cute!!

His little bum poking out

He bit the doctor on his way out


Here he is!!! Samuel Aquilla Sorenson
Lots of people ask about his middle name. Aquilla is the middle name of my Father's Grandpa, Alma Aquilla Olson. It is of Latin origin meaning Eagle (Aquila in Italian).

The nurses cleaning him off and taking care of him


Mommy could not believe that he was finally here, safe and sound. She was overwhelmed with love and happiness for our little man

We knew that he was going to be really small and we were overjoyed when he weighed in at 5 pounds 9 ounces and 16.5 inches long. He is healthy and strong and doing so well!!

The other cool part of the surgery was just after the birth when the doctor pulled out both uteruses and laid them on Trisha's belly while he cleaned it out and stitched it back up. It was really fascinating to see the anatomy and learn a little something about how it all worked.

We are so happy that Sam is here and healthy. We think he is the cutest thing ever and we already love him so much!! Mom and baby are both recovering really well!

4 comments:

Tiffanyrose said...

I love my sister, I love her soooo much. And I am so proud of you guys. I can not wait to hold him. Mike, congratulations. It doesn't seem like enough to say, maybe if I yell it. CONGRATULATIONS!

Eliza said...

Sam sounds like a little fighter... staying put inside his mama long enough to get big enough and healthy enough, and then biting the doctor! :)

And the picture of Trisha all teary eyed made me all teary eyed. I am so happy for your family!

valeri said...

sooo...where is the picture of the dual uteri?! seriously though, sam is so adorable. as soon as trish is up for it, i'd love to come hold and snuggle him. congratulations, you crazy kids.

Megan D. said...

Oh my goodness! I'm slow at catching up on blogland! Congratulations! He is so handsome - I'm glad everything went well. I hope you can bring him to the party. Talk to you soon.